A Goal is:
What changes are you contemplating making or achievements you are considering? A goal is a written promise with a deadline to ourselves. A goal is a vision for one’s future, they are time sensitive, and tend to be large in nature; something that may feel out of reach. Goals should not be identified as an objective, a resolution, or a mission.
Goal-setting is the process of identifying something that we want to work towards and accomplish. Through identification, we then establish the measurable and specific objectives to complete the task. Goal setting is important in our lives because it provides direction and gives us a purpose. Goal setting can be a motivator to take action, illicit positive change, and offers a sense of control over our future. Most importantly, when achieved, goals give us a sense of accomplishment.
There are several common types of goals including short-term goals, long-term goals, personal goals, professional goals, financial goals, academic goals and social goals. Although it is important to identify the type of goals that align with your values and priorities, they all are achieved by taking the same steps.
The Steps of Goal Setting
A goal setting process or identification of the necessary steps forces us to think about the journey instead of fixating on the destination.
- Decide what your goals/objectives are (Think about the results you want to see) – Ask:
Is this goal something I want?Does it align with my values, priorities or other goals?
Is there time to pour the time and effort into it?
2. Create SMART goals
Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Time-bound
3. Write down your goals and put them in a place that is visible- Writing goals down make them real and tangible instead of ideas that are in our mind.
4. Create a plan of action – List out your overall goal and all the steps necessary to accomplish the task
5. Create a timeline – visualize roles, tasks, milestones and deadlines that will allow for you to achieve your goals.
6. Take action – Review your action plan and timeline and begin.
7. Evaluate and assess your progress – Do something daily towards achieving your goal and schedule a weekly evaluation to see what progress has been made
Deciding to goal set and implementing a plan to achieve set goal allows for success to come quicker. It can fuel ambition and help in seeing tangible results.